Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

30 Things - #3

To see what this is all about, click here.

#3 - Describe your relationship with your parents.

First my Mom.

My mom and I very close and outside of Sean I think she knows me better than anyone. My Mom has always been there for me no matter what. I enjoy her company. She's easy to talk to and though we have our disagreements I know I can tell her anything. We are alike in many ways but I think in more ways we are different and I think that is where our disagreements come from. Regardless, I wouldn't trade her for the world, she's not just my mom, she's my friend. My kids adore her and she adores them. I feel so lucky that they are able to enjoy a relationship with their grandmother.

Now my Dad.

My Dad was a quiet man. He kept to himself. He was the observer and would only offer his opinion once he'd fully assessed the situation. He was funny, really funny and could always make me laugh. His humour was sarcastic and timely; not knock knock joke-ish. My Dad was a realist; he saw things for what they were and didn't sugar coat things. He was a no bullshit kind of guy. I tend to think I'm a lot like he was.
My Dad and I weren't close in the traditional sense. We didn't share the same interests - though for a couple of years in the 90's we went to a lot of baseball games together and I suspect that just as much as I sometimes found it hard to talk to him because of that, he probably felt the same. But I respected him, loved him and admired him. I enjoyed his sense of humor and nothing made me happier than seeing him and my kids play together. My favorite picture of him is this one


It's Connor giving Papa a kiss. 
When Emily was about 5 we had a computer game called Barbie Explorer and my Dad would take Emily outside to play their own version of it, running around the backyard and the side of the house on an adventure.

I have been blessed with two wonderful parents who made me who I am. I couldn't ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment